Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year in the Auto repiar business ASE Certified

Check engine light came on. Just fueled up this morning and

Customer Question

Check engine light came on. Just fueled up this morning and about 15 miles later, the light came on. Car is running fine.
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: And fuel gauge read empty after filling up - now reading almost full.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: Stays on. 2009 Santa Fe
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet other than turning the engine off and re-seating the fuel cap.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just the business with the fuel gauge.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The check engine light comes on when the computer system sees a system fault and when this happens the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes. If the gauge read empty that very likely triggered the light because the gauge hung up. Since the car is running fine, I would start with removing the negative battery cable which will clear the light and the code and then drive it and see if the light returns. If it dose the a code scan will need to be performed to retrieve the fault code and that can be addressed from there. If the light remains off then no further action is needs and you good to go.