peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I'm replacing the ignition switch on an 09 santa fe. I had

Customer Question

I'm replacing the ignition switch on an 09 santa fe. I had not a clue and after I pulled the old one out, turned the key from acc to on. I stuck my finger in the end and pushed the pin. Now key is stuck in on position. Help me Pearl!
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Keith
JA: What year is your Santa Fe?
Customer: 2009 I can shift it to any gear.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried to pull the lock cylinder out, but can't depress the pin while in on position
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am trying to fix a problem where when I start the car, I get nothing. No click, nothing. I had the starter and the neutral switch replaced. Still does same thing, about every few weeks. Ugh.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you havent yet try jiggling the ignition key in the cylinder and work it back and forth to see if it will release and turn then.In some cases you can spray a small amount of lubricant around the cylinder and key to help work it loose as well.If this does not work or if this was already attempted let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Pete. I have removed the switch (white plastic assembly). When I did that, I turned the key to on and somehow pushed a plunger or something on the inside of the key assembly. Now the key won't turn, and the switch will not seat all the way. Is there some way to release that plunger?

Unfortunately I do not see a way to release this myself.This will most likely take lock smith tools to do this and in some cases the housing has to be drilled out to release it then repaired or replaced from there.I have run across issues like this before and had to do this in some cases.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete