Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

2004 Accent, overheated yesterday, gauge gets towards red

Customer Question

2004 Accent, overheated yesterday, gauge gets towards red zone, then backs down. Refill coolant reserve, but level drops after driving for a while. Assuming/hoping it's thermostat, but are there things I can do to "test" before I start working?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

This one is a little tricky because it sounds like you have a coolant leak. This introduces air into the cooling system and then it starts going up and down. This usually isn't a problem with the thermostat.

The first thing you should do is make sure the cooling fans are coming on. If they don't, the car can overheat which could overflow it and you lose coolant.

If the fans are coming on, then you really need to top off the cooling system and pressure test it to try and locate the leak. Then repair the leak and top off the coolant.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!