Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1 diagnostics, 32 years. Electrical expert
13677702

I never pulled an engine from a front wheel drive car.I was

Customer Question

I never pulled an engine from a front wheel drive car.I was looking forva step by step direction to replce the motor in my 93 hyundai excel with manual trnsmission.
JA: How many miles on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: 110000+/- yes its all original.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I think that the wrist pin or piston went in the left most cylinder. I am thinking of purchasing a used engine and swapping it out. I have found 3 engines that are available.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I think a wrist pin went in the right end cylinder. I have located 3 used engines and I am considering swapping out the old for one of these engines. Depending on the difficulty.
JA: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should be aware of about your Hyundai?
Customer: It's just old but it has run great until the oil light quit wor*****, *****ngong me to where I am now with a blown engine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 months ago.

Hello, You will have to have a pretty good mechanical basics in order to do the job, Book time is 12.7 hours, It takes a fair amount of work but really not too greatly difficult. Hyundai does not offer pictures, only text via the repair manual. I have included all steps required to do the job,. basically you are unhooking everything you can up top. then exhasut and axles from under side as well as mounts. The using a engine lift, you tilt engine and trans some to lift out the top,. Both engine and trans are removed as one unit, You can not just remove engine by itself. here is a link to all the steps to do the repair