Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.

I have a 2002 hyundai santa fe all wheel drive 4cly i have

Customer Question

hi i have a 2002 hyundai santa fe all wheel drive 4cly i have undone all bolts and levers on the gearbox to change the clutch but can not separate it from the motor it will come out a bit then stops thank you rick
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

You have to remove the bolt from the release fork on the transmission so it can move freely. If you don't, then you are fighting the pressure plate because the throwout bearing is seated in the pressure plate. Remove it so the release fork can pivot and it will slide the rest of the way out for you.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

I found a diagram of the part you need to remove, hopefully it will help. They didn't put it in the manual until later years.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
where do you find that bolt? i have taken the lever and nut off the clutch lever but cannot find that bolt .
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

I see, if you have the diagram I sent and the nut and lever off, then i am not certain what the issue is. I sent the diagram already so please take a look and make sure we are talking about the same part.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do you access to take the bolt out ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
still can not separate
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

The bolt should be on top of the release lever. It should be a nut. Should be able to remove the nut, then pull the lever arm off, leaving the shift fork in the transmission. Then when you pull it should pivot enough to allow the clutch fork to slide out of the throwout bearing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do you have to take off the transfer case completely or just take the bolts out
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry Rick, I have nothing saying the transfer case has to come off, let me open this up for the other experts.

Please do not reply to this or it will lock it back to me.

Sorry I am not able to help with this.