Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.

I have a 1992 starts fine but loses all power

Customer Question

i have a 1992 starts fine but loses all power when you try to get going....,i have a 1992 starts fine but loses all power when you try to get has gotten progressively worse, but for a while seemed better after it warmed up...
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

It sounds like a possible issue with a plugged or plugging catalytic converter. I would start by removing the O2 sensor from the exhaust manifold. If the engine performs better, this usually indicates a blockage in the exhaust which is normally the catalytic converter plugging up on it.

Usually if it is plugged you will get this type of symptom as well. Fine at idle but terrible under load.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

It is also possible the mass air flow sensor has a problem. This is the sensor mounted to the air filter housing. Sometimes you can unplug them and if it runs better the sensor is the problem.