camerontech
camerontech, diagnostic auto tech
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I need to replace side and low-side hvac lines on '05 santa

Customer Question

I need to replace hi-side and low-side hvac lines on '05 santa fe
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and no haven't tried yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: does he recommend that I also buy the liquid line when i go to repair the others, i.e. is there good chance there will be cracks in liquid line as well?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  camerontech replied 11 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced autotech and a/c specialist

all of the high side lines are the liquid lines while the low side is the vapour lines.
i would visually inspect all of the lines and if any are cracking than they will need to be replaced.

look for signs of oil leakage around the crimps as this is the first signs of the ac leaks, but if you find minor cracks on all of them than its a good idea just to replace them all.

the lines without any flexible hose attached will not require replacment unless excessive signs of corrosion is close to the fittings

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Cam! Sorry I was not very specific in my original question.I understand your reference to the liquid and vapour lines.I need to replace what they're refering to as the suction and discharge hoses/lines as based on this diagram (#9 and #10 http://bit.ly/1UDyRyw).In that link, they specify part #12 as the "liquid" line.What I need help with is (2005 Hyundai Santa Fe):(1) Instructions for replacing the suction and discharge hoses/lines (already confirmed cracked and need to be replaced)(2) Is there an easy way to tell if the "liquid" line has cracks without any refrigerant/pressue in the system? Would prefer not to replace if Ok ($155 part).

hi there,

sorry for the late reply. work day..

yes , i see you are replacing the suction line from the expansion valve to the compressor and the hp line from the compressor to condenser.

i have looked in all my manuals and there is no directions for replacing lines, only major components like the compressor or condenser.

I dont think i have ever seen directions for replacing lines.

but.. line replacments are generally the same .

you will have to evacuate the system, remove the retaining bolts or nuts, ad wiggle the line free front where it attaches.

the hardest part is manuvering and feeding the lines into their original position for fastening. the lines should come with new seals or orings. if not than these must be replaced.

once lines have been replaced, the ac system should be put into a vacuum for 30 mins to remove any oxygen and moisture.

if you are using the cans to charge the system, than purge a bit of gas out of the high pressure while filling through the low side.

the liquid cracks should be visible whether the system is charged or not. if you cant see any cracks, i wouldnt be concerned.
i dont replace lines unless they are visibly cracked or visible leakage around the couplers and crimps. A leak will show ac oil around the cennection

the suction hose calls for about 1.9 hours so you will have to remove anything that is attached or in its way.
i wish i had more info and some diagrams for you but line replacement is more of a trial and error replacment

hi there,

how did your repair go?

please take a moment to rate me! as it is important for my page

thnaks and i appreciate positive ratings!

cam,