Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

My son was driving s 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe home from school

Customer Question

My son was driving his 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe home from school last night and about every 5 minutes the alarm would go off, lights blinking, horn blowing locks locking, etc. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: He would pull over and shut the car off and it would stop then start up again. It made the 2 hour trip long.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, it is Memorial Day and our go to mechanic shop is closed. He has to drive to Cleveland on Wednesday so time is of essence
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Open and closed the hood, took the battery out of the fob.
JA: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should be aware of about your Hyundai?
Customer: Its green?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

Ok, based upon the symptoms, I suspect that the ETACS control module is faulty. This is the electronics time alarm control system, which is everything tied into the alarm and immobilizer system.

Unfortunately there is no at home fix for this. The ETACS control module will need to be replaced and the new one programmed to your son's vehicle using a dealer level scan tool and software.