Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.

Not my car it is my step dads. He says he was driving doing

Customer Question

Not my car it is my step dads. He says he was driving doing 40 mph when the car died he said all the light came on in the car (on dash) and he coasted to a stop. Pulled it on the shoulder tried to start it and it would not even turn over he says it just clicks. He tried to jump start it and still it just clicks. He has a 2010 hyundai sonata 4 cylinder possible problems.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

HI there,

How many miles on the car and were there any lights on prior to this happening?

Is it a single click or a series of rapid clicks?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No engine light and 1 click 904 miles
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

The car only has 904 miles on it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dammit 90k miles stupid auto correct
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

lol, ok had me a little worried there.

With this kind of mileage and the way the car shut down, I would check the computer for any codes, check the engine oil to make sure it's full as well. I could see the car just shutting down if the alternator stopped charging the battery, but usually you will get more then a single click. This makes me concerned there is some type of engine issue. Like a lack of oil pressure that would cause the engine to seize up. This would make the starter only have a single click along with the fact that the engine died as well.

These are chain driven engines so unless the timing chain actually broke I do not think it's a valve hitting the pistons type of situation. If you get to the car, see if you can turn the engine by hand. If not, it might just be locked up.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!