Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

My daughter was in a minor collision and has jammed the hood

Customer Question

My daughter was in a minor collision and has jammed the hood release closed. How can I release the hood so I can see what other damage there may be?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The hood is jammed shut and I need to release it so I can gain access to the engine compartment. The hood release cable is not working at all. It is free moving with no resistance and the hood will not move.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can. It is scheduled for a vehicle emission test and this is the first time I have seen it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Hyundai Mechanic should know about your Hyundai?
Customer: The check engine light is on. I am hoping to get to the engine, change the oil and then address the check engine light if the oil change is not the problem.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: No. Haven't checked it. My daughter is notorious for not checking and changing the oil. I wanted to address it first. The drive over to Advance Auto and get the engine code.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Hyundai Mechanic to figure that out. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 4 months ago.

Best thing to try is to have someone pull the hood release while you are pulling up on the hood or prying up if necessary. If that does not work, then you'd need to put the vehicle in the air on a lift and try to pop the hood open from under the vehicle through the grille.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.