sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2012 elantra am/fm/xm/cd/mps/Bluetooth radio ramdonly shuts

Customer Question

2012 elantra am/fm/xm/cd/mps/Bluetooth radio ramdonly shuts off and sometimes pwrs back on when the engine is running. radio works fine when key is turned to acc or on(and the engine not working) the unit does not loose presents or and always pwrs back up to the channel it was on when it powered down.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. I have a subscription to all data and was about to trouble shoot the wiring using a test lifht. I am concwerned because a friend mentioned thst I wopuld need a radio code to restet the radio once I disconnect the the wire harness froin the basck iof the unit
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? No, I use streaming services like Pandora.
Customer: I have removed the radio and made sure that the connector into the unit was in tight. no improvement
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Hyundai Mechanic should know about your Hyundai?
Customer: no other issues
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 6 months ago.
Hello, is this a navigation unit or a regular radio?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no, just a radio.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry I didn't get back earlier. I work third shift and just got home.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you have charged me $20. where is my answer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
am I charged another $20?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!What you'll need to do is monitor the two switched power feeds to see if either one of them is being lost. If one is being lost then we can investigate from there, if they are present at the time the radio turns off then the problem is internal in the radio.Backprobing at the radio connector with it plugged in and using an incandescent test light for testing you'll need to test the power feeds on the brown wire in pin 7 and the blue wire in pin 11.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
good evening sprinkles. Sorry I didn't get back earlier. I figured that checking the connectors first would be a good place to start. Using the Aldata printouts, I used the ground on pin 24. I check for voltage on pin 7 brown and had pwr in acc, on and with engine running. I then did the same for pin 11. I notice that pin 11 is not blue. not sure why the color was diff but I went with the diagram of the connector. there was the same pwr results on pin 11 also. I then did the same test with the connectors plugged into the radio. same results. At this point I am leaning on its the radio. I don't think it makes sense to tear into that device. Would still like to know what in the unit is causing the power interruption. I have noticed that when I shut off the engine, I hear a click coming from the dash in the area of the radio just before the radio pwrs back on in either acc or on. I am thinking that this is a relay that allows the unit to pwr back on.. I wonder if there is a relay or a surge protection device in the unit that prevents a surge when the engine is started. The owner's manual warns against having devices plugged into the power jacks when you start the vehicle to prevent possible power surges from harming the device. Any other areas I should check before I order a new radio?
Were the tests done at the time the radio was working correctly or while it was not working? You'd need to verify the power feeds are present at the time it isn't working, and if ok then the radio will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
pwr was available on the leads even when the radio was not working.
That does indicate internal failure of the radio then.