Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

What happens to a car when it sits a lot? I have a 2010 with

Customer Question

What happens to a car when it sits a lot? I have a 2010 with about 6,500 miles on it and with the low miles you can guess that I don't drive it a lot. I usually run it for 20 mins once or twice a week and I drive it every week or week and a half. I get the oil changed as it should be. The battery has not been a problem as it has only had to be replaced once even with the infrequent driving. So, going forward will the lack of driving cause me any issues? I have heard that cars with low miles are in demand. Should I expect problems or should I be okay?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,As long as you have changed the oil by time not distance you should be fine.So in 5 or so years, 6500 miles is only 1200 miles per year.If you have changed the oil once a year, you are fine.The fuel could go off a bit, and here is the clincher.If you keep the tank full there is less chance for condensation contamination.But it also takes longer to use it. If you run it low and top it up more often, you are then getting fresh fuel, but risk contamination from the moisture in the air.You can get some products to keep the fuel stable over winter etc from your local parts store.I would also consider replacing the timing belt by the time it gets to 8 years old 10000 miles.Even though the factory interval would be 5 years 60000 miles.Hope this helps.Gary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It helps a lot thanks. I always change the oil more than once a year. The fuel tank is almost always full. And I live in South Florida so it's pretty much always warm so I doubt I would need products to keep the fuel stable over the winter, would I? So the only thing to do would be to replace the timing belt at 8 years or 10,000 miles, correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the fuel will be okay as well?
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
I agree with everything you have said there.You have done a good job of looking after your car.If the vehicle starts well cold and drives normally straight away, I'd say the whole fuel system and the fuel is all good.The timing belt is a precaution from lack of use.Way cheaper than a failure.Hope this helps.Gary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your answers. I feel much better that my car will continue to run well. Last question.. Is the timing belt something that should just be done, no matter what, at 8 years or 10,000 miles or should it just be looked at and decided upon at that point?
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
If your engine has the two piece cover where you can inspect the belt, then I would leave it for the mechanic to inspect.He may say it is ok, but for me I would do it anyhow.It costs too much for engine failure from a broken timing belt, bent valves etc.Hope this helps.RegardsGary