George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Hyundai Santa Fe: I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe The timing

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe
The timing belt burst which in turn bent 4 of the intake valves. My mechanic changed the timing belt and intake valve. The car ran for 2 minutes and then stopped. There is no spark in fuses or ignites. The coils in the spark plugs were changed and still nothing happens.
Please advise what the issue could be.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 6 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, Do you have the vehicle or does the mechanic?Can you do testing and do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vehicle is by a mechanic and yes I have a voltmeter.
OK, the signal from the crankshaft position sensor will need to be checked. You don't mention if the sensor was replaced but if the belt broke the sensor was damaged and should have been replaced. You disconnect the sensor connector up by the valve cover and with the key on two of the wires will show 12 volts with the meter between them. Note which wire does not show 12 volts and slip a straight pin along the wire to make contact inside the connector with it connected. Measure between the pin and ground while you slowly turn the crankshaft with the pulley bolt clockwise by hand. If the meter does not toggle from 0 - 5 volts while turning and repeat you need to replace the sensor. Let me know how i can help Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check.
Great, let me know what you find, that is the common cause but if you have a good 0-5-0-5-0 signal as you turn there are other tests to be made. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The sensor was replaced already sorry
Still that is the place to start, if you can verify that you have good signal then we move to ignition failure sensor but first things first. There are a couple of ways to screw up when you replace the sensor so see if you have the correct signal
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are getting 0-5
And it goes back to 0 then to 5 and keeps doing that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A new sensor, ignitor were installed
This does not use an ignitor so I am not sure what you replaced?
Do you have a scantool that shows data?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the sensor that connects to the 4 injectors and 2 coils that connects to the sensor. the 4 ignitors were also replaced
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A scan tool was put on the vehicle prior and nothing shows up on it
Those would be the ignition coils that sit on top of the spark plugs? The ignition failure sensor is on the back of the valve cover to the driver's end. It has a pink/black, black and a tan black wire. Was this replaced?
All fuses good?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes those were replaced and all fuses were replaced, both inside and outside.
Sorry 4 wires on the IFS, the 4th is white
Check for 12 volts on the pink/black wire at the IFS, if that is good connect the pink/black to the tan,black wire with a paperclip and see if you have spark.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the colors i have are white, orange, black and green with yellow stripe
That does not sound like the IFS sensor, are you sure where it is?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that is the sensor that I am looking at it is marked IFS
I am unable to speak on the phone The sensor looks like this? Click here
Can you post a picture of the wiring?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok i will
Great, if it is the sensor I linked then you want to unplug it and measure between the two outside pins with the key on for 12 volts. If you have that connect the VB wire to the IG+ wire
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am waiting for the pictures
Ok, I am here
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I added the files
Thanks, ***** ***** second picture the IFS is unplugged in the lower right of the image. In the first picture I can't tell if the shutter wheel is passing through the jaws of the crank sensor, if it is not the sensor needs to be turned around it is in backward. Let me know if you can do the test for the IFS sensor I posted above Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The sensor is plugged in backward?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what position is it to be in?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you say key on, do you mean to turn on the ignition?
No, the crank sensor has to have the shutter wheel passing through the gap in the sensor. I can't tell if it does from the photo. Yes, all testing is done with the key on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is the shutter wheel?
The brass wheel that turns with the crankshaft is what signals the sensor. It is between the belt sprocket in the picture and the crank in your picture. It has high and low portions that send the signal as it passes through the sensor. It looks to me that the jaws of the sensor are in front of the wheel and the wheel is passing along the back of the sensor but I can't really tell from the picture
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is the VB wire and IG wire?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the wires are colored as I advised above
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the 2 outer terminals are reading 0.027
On the link I posted it shows the wire desiginations, they are from left to right VB, IG+, IG and GND. If you only have a little voltage at those wire (outside ones then you have a failed wire or a blown fuse.It is the ECU #1 fuse that feeds the sensor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't see a link.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what ampage is the ECU #1 fuse
The fuse is 20 amps, which link? The one to the IFS?
Click here for IFS sensor link
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All the fuses are good
If you have 12 volts at both testpoints on the back of the ECU#1 fuse then you have a break between the fuse and what should be the pink/black wire at the IFS sensor connector.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I resolve this issue then. all the wires were tested that are coming from the IFC back to the main supply wire and all have continuity
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it a possibility that the problem can come from the computer?
You need to find the break or overlay a wire between the fuse and the sensor. If you have 12 volts on the ECU#1 fuse but nothing on the sensor there is a break. There is the CC01 connector between them. Let me get a diagram of that connector and the location
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok
Click here you want pin #1, it is red in and pink/black out
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you send some pictures / diagrams of the instructions for testing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The info you sent does not have anything on it
It is a picture of the CC01 connector location, you may need to give it time to load?
Pin 1 is in a corner of the connector, maybe it was not plugged back in?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pin 1 of the IFC? Please explain
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this is what comes up
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it a possibility that the problem can come from the computer? The electrical tests were done by the electrician already? Please advise what can cause this issue
Sounds like it didn't load, let me try again Click here The ignition coils are powered through the IFS sensor, if you don't have voltage to the sensor you don't have voltage to the coils. Get voltage to the sensor before anything and be sure the shutter wheel is passing through the gap in the crank sensor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is still not loading
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you do a screen shot of the doc and send please
You may need to get to a real computer if you are on a phone, it looks like it will not load on the phone. The connector is large and just behind the IFS at the driver's end of the valve cover'
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does the computer has anything to do with the IFS and the crankshaft sensor. Does everything goes back to the sensor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am on a real computer there is no image
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when i open the doc the image i sent you is what comes up
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
and this is to connect to what? Please explain
I am not sure what the issue is then, I will see if I can work it out but can you check the large connector where I described it?This connector is between the fuse and the IFS sensor, if it was left unplugged or has a poor connection you will not have 12 volts to the sensor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is connected properly
OK, then check the red wire in the corner for 12 volts, if you have it at the fuse it should be there
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does the IFS and the crankshaft sensor has anything to do with the computer. Does the computer have to respond to them before i can get a reading.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah we checked that already. We are getting 12 volts. Please respond to my above question.17 May 2016 06:02
The Crank sensor sends a signal to the computer, the IFS send power to the coils. If you don't have power to the IFS it is a wiring issue not the computerYou have 12 volts to the sensor? You posted that you did not?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are not getting any reading at all on the red wire.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
IS that the only wire that we have to test to see if we have 12 volts?
OK, that red wire in the corner runs directly to the ECU#1 fuse, does the fuse have 12 volts at BOTH testpoints on the back of the fuse?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check
The ECU#1 fuse feeds lots of components, O2 sensors, IFS etc
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Which one is the ECU#1 fuse as the cover does not have markings,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it a 20 amp fuse or what. Where is it located, inside the vehicle or outside under the hood
Slow down and allow me time to get the info you asked for Click here
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you jump it directly from the battery to the red wire to check for spark?
Sure, that is what I posted before but you need to find out why you don't have 12 volts there
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you screen shot the other pic that I didn't get to open
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should I take out the spark plug lead and put a screwdriver near to the valve cover and see if i get a spark?
You don't need the picture, you said you found the connector. You told me you checked the fuse but you don't know which one it is? How is that possible? I don't want to go over the same ground again and again, if you don't know tell me youn don't know and I will help you check. Look back though this thread and see if you can get 12 volts to the sensor and check the shutter wheel. I need to go out for 30 minutes, I will check back when I return
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just checked the fuse a while ago from the diagram you sent. Thank you.
OK, so if you have power at the fuse do you have power to the sensor or at the O2 sensor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello I was having difficulties getting back to you. After bridging from the battery to the red wire, we got the 12V going to the coils but it still not sparking. Please provide the procedure to get the coils activated to the spark plugs so that we can get spark. Thank you.
Tell me about the crank sensor, is the shutter wheel passing through the sensor or behind it?The ECU#1 fuse runs several other things than just the coils, did you find the cause that it is not providing 12 volts to the CC01 connector? With the amount of work done there may be a crushed wire or broken connection.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, the shutter wheel is passing through the sensor. To clarify the CC01 is middle wires of the IFC
No, the CC01 is the large connector behind the sensor location with the red wire in the corner that changes to a pink/black wire coming out of the connector to the VB pin on the sensor. If you don't have 12 volts from the fuse block to the CC01 connector I wonder what else does not have power? Have you checked the O2 sensor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thats what I'm saying we don't have power. I had already identified that we are not getting any power to the vehicle. All those tests have already been carried out.
You need to find out why you are not getting power out of the fuse block, something is broken or disconnected.I think if you can identify why you have 12 volts at the fuse but nothing out at the red wire or O2 sensor then you will find why it does not spark. It was running when the belt broke, something happened while the head was being repaired to change that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If the mechanic connected a wire wrong would that blow the fuse or damage the computer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unless it was jumped backward or welding was done then I doubt it. I would be looking for physical damage. You may need to pull the fuse block enough to get to the bottom to check the red wire at that point. Something is preventing the 12 volts yopu measure at the fuse from making it to the red wire
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After that what is the next step
Once you find why you don't have power and repair it I don't think there is a next step. That should do it. Find the problem with the power and it should solve the problem. The chain is the crank signal send to the computer, the computer grounds the coils and lets the ground up when it want to fire the coil. The IFS sends power to the coils so they can fire as long as the white wire is not at 12 volts.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the white wire has 12V right now, how to prevent it from getting 12 volts.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
or how to fix this from getting 12Volts
Before you go there you need to get power to the rest. The white wire has a test voltage on it but once the engine starts turning (with power at the proper points) then it will drop and the computer will allow fuel. In any case the computer does not cut spark.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks.
Let me know what you find and if I can help but you should be able to trace the wire back to the fuse block and find something along the way, if you have 12 volts at the fuse but nothing out to the connector on the box then the box is the problem.