sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2003 Santa Fe, drove about 700 miles yesterday with no problems.

Customer Question

2003 Santa Fe, drove about 700 miles yesterday with no problems. Tried starting it after sitting an hour and again over night. Won't start, good battery, acts like it is not in gear. All the idiot lights come on, on the dash but nothing. I can hear the injection system working.
JA: OK. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked all the fuses under the hood, all look good, moved the gear shift out of park and back.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Hyundai Mechanic should know about your Hyundai?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .Which engine is in it? Do you have power to the starter when the key is turned?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure the size of the motor, it is a v6. I think I have power to the starter
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Everything else has power and works.
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.
It will be hard to diagnose based on "I think" and not knowing the engine size. Everything else won't help it to start. Are you willing to do some tests on the starting system?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tell me what to test. I am very, very limited on tools. It is a 3.5 engine
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.
You can test most of the system with a 12v test light or a volt meter. First see if there is power to the starter relay. That is in the under hood fuse/relay box. I will pull up some diagrams and see what tests can be done. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have access to that equipment, is there any other way to check?
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.
Not that I can think of, I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Electrical testing will almost surely be necessary to diagnose the issue.Have you tried swapping the starter relay with another?Do you hear no noise from the engine compartment when turning the key to the crank position?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Had it towed to a shop. The starter went out. Thanks for the input anyway
I'm glad you got it fixed!