Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Hyundai Santa Fe: George, found a former answer similar

Customer Question

Hi George, found a former answer similar to my needs, but 4 Yr old Dropbox procedure now gone. 2003 Santa Fe, 3.5L V6. Check Engine light came on, Autozone says 2 codes, P0302 and P2127. I have basic understanding of meanings, but wonder if an older guy is up to the req'd work. Local mechanic and dealership want ~$500 for Spark plugs and possibly Ign Coil.. APS Cicuit E, seems doable, but what is your take?
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, about 40 mins waiting for 'something' ... Should I wait here, or look for an email reply? I prefer a typed (or voice) dialog... Dunno if this is even working.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Experts are reviewing ... for an hour an a half so far ... I'll check email later, but so far, not so happy
Expert:  eauto replied 5 months ago.
The P2127 is pointing to a fault with the Accelerator Position Sensor (not "Actuator"). Most commonly, this will simply be a faulty sensor, however, with access to a scan-tool, you can verify this by observing the voltages of the sensor while stepping on the Accelerator Pedal. Inspect the wire harnes and connector for any loose or broken wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, suspect a faulty sensor. It's located under the hood, driver's side rear corner, below the master cylinder. In the image below, the 3.5L is shown, id replace the #2 ignition coil its upfront and easy to do
Expert:  eauto replied 5 months ago.
Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, not an auto guru, but a 100 yrs ago (or feels like it), I could easily do a simple spark plug change. Now, this car is ugly under hood, everything in inaccessible locations, and sadly, your 'info' is fairly useless. Before I trialed JA, I knew Meaning of the 2 codes, I've got ONLY the #2 cyl plug, and attached Ignition coil off, s/ able to buy & replace. The pic for the APS looks NOTHING like what's under my hood. For clarity, It is a 2003 HYUNDAI SANTA FE v6 3.5L. There is a wire 'roller' (dunno proper term), with what looks like a sensor on it, that 'rolls' when accelerator is depressed. ASSUMING that is it, but is (to me), unreachable. Air filter assembly is above, and if removed, is still at unreachable location. Im looking for a real answer, already did web research, now, stuck. This service is so far unusable. If you have usable info, on how to get to the APS, I'd appreciate a reply.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also ** I can R & R the PLUG (singular) Ignition coil (left most of 3), and APS, does vehicle 'reset' Check lights, or what is needed to do so... If I still see check light with same codes, is it ongoing, or old? How do I tell?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also ** should read "Also, *IF*" ,,,, Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, since above test addition, all I have received is a $10 phone consult offer. Again, not happy with site, or info delivery. I already knew location of CYL #2, had popped ignition coil and pulled plug. CYL #2 misfire, I thought of only replacing one spark plug and associated IG Coil. I still have rcv'd no feedback on wisdom of that (were getting rid of car soon, and don't want a $1000 repair). 2nd, the grainy pic you sent is of no use. Cant make out sensor, and area under my hood doesn't look like that. At this point, and without slamming our interaction, I do not wish to continue, unless you can produce some magic, now. If you'ld rathe opt out, please advise, do NOT charge my card, and we'll be done. Please let me know.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. Different expert here.I don't know about wisdom, but if you have mechanical skills, tools and ability, I can provide you with the technical guidance needed to repair the causes of DTC P0302 and P2127. Would you like that?