Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2004 Santa fe with the 2.4 motor. I bought it not

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Santa fe with the 2.4 motor. I bought it not running and it will not get spark. Has fuel, I took the timing cover off and the crank position sensor is new.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

I believe I can help on this concern, but I see you have been waiting a long time. I need to know first off do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Chris yes I still need help. I have no power to either coil. I plugged a good snap on scanner in and cranked for 15 seconds and it gave me no codes. Trying to figure out why I have no spark.

Thanks, ***** ***** the wire diagram for this circuit. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/24coil.pdf

At the coil is black wire a good ground?

At the ignition failure sensor, is the pink/black wire powered with the key on?

At the ignition failure sensor is the black wire ground?

At the ignition failure sensor is the tan/black wire powered while cranking?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All tests I can answer yes to except voltage while cranking on ignition failure sensor. It has zero volts and one volt while cranking. This test was done with the connector unhooked from the sensor.

Can you do the test for power at the failure sensor again. The failure sensor powers the coil so we need to see what it is plugged up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the connector plugged in there is just under 12 volts with the key on and about 9.5 while cranking. I'm assuming because the battery is a little weak from cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually nevermind the tan/black has no voltage while key is on or cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have continuity between tan/black to ground at cool plug and ign failure plug. I traced the wire back to the big 11 pin connector that's just behind the valve cover and there is continuity to ground there as well.

Unplug the failure sensor, jump a wire from tan/black to pink/black at that connector.

Is there now key on power to the coil?

Will it now start?

If so then replace the failure sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it, no luck.

Since there is now power to the coil from this test and still there is no spark verified occurring. That means its time to see if the computer is getting a CKP signal that is accurate when cranking. If so then check for a ground pulse signal from the computer to the coils.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be considered a accurate ckp signal for this car and what will be the way to test coil pulse?

A noid light like used to check fuel injector pulse can be used to check coil pulse.

Engine cranking speed is about 250 rpms, the reading would be similar to the CMP reading.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Chris, been extremely busy just now getting back to the car. Here's what I have found. My jumper wire I used before must not have been great. I tried jumping the ignition failure sensor again and it started. Also noticed the sensor is new so im guessing something is taking the sensor out, don't want to replace it just to ruin another one. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Possible causes for a failure sensor to go bad are wiring issues effecting the power and ground to it and feedback from the coils effecting it. You will need to check all this with a new functioning failure sensor on the vehicle.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris