350matt
350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons 22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

My hyundai has its engine Re done ie rings, crankshaft replaced

Customer Question

My hyundai has its engine Re done ie rings, crankshaft replaced and since then I've been having hard starting issues as well as drive ability problems. No code is shown on using scanning tool.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: What are the issues that could be wrong?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'm hoping to give it to a mechanic to sort out but I'm a trainee mechanic so have little experience about cars
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Hyundai Mechanic should know about your Hyundai?
Customer: It's a 2012 sonata. GDI engine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 6 months ago.
Good, look on the raised area of the rotor between the lug stud holes and you will see a pair of smaller threaded holes. Run a pair of 8x1.25mm bolts in those holes and it will push the rotor off the hub. Is the rotor loose and hung on the park brake or stuck solid to the hub? If it is loose you will have to back off the park shoes through the rubber access plug. Let me know if it is solid or loose Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, where is the rotor located ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can the rotor cause hard starting to the engine? Wanted to know if a misaligned timing belt would trigger a check engine code? Could it also cause hard starting and gear changing at 6000rpm
Sorry my post was meant for another question, I will OPT OUT as it cross posted
Expert:  350matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello I'd suggest starting by doing a compression test across all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other if you have 2 low cylinders then this indicates the the cam timing may be out and a misaligned belt can produce an fault code but not always let me know what you find
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Assuming there are two low cylinders, what would be the solution to the cam timing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Because it's night time already where I am so I would not be able to perform the compression test tonight.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, what alternative can I check incase I can't reach you in the morning (My time)
Expert:  350matt replied 6 months ago.
hello if you do think the cam timing is out then the next step is to remove the front cover to check that the cam pullies are aligned on the cam chain correctly
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for this Matt. Are there any other things that could cause thing just in the instance the timing is correctly positioned?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, the picture you sent was for 05-10, does that apply to the 2012 model GDI engine as well?
Expert:  350matt replied 6 months ago.
as far as I'm aware then yes it shoudl carry over
Expert:  350matt replied 6 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you