George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

I'm trying to time a 2004 Hyundai Santa fe with a 3.5 engine

Customer Question

I'm trying to time a 2004 Hyundai Santa fe with a 3.5 engine .I'm following the correct procedure and it still isn't correct .is there a better way to time this vehicle
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I lined up all points set tensioner and tried to rotate engine by hand and it will rotate almost two full revaluations but binds up just before I complete the second revolution
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried following every repair manual and still having problems
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Hyundai Mechanic should know about your Hyundai?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Why are you replacing the belt? Maintenance or did it break while driving?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
was changing crank sensor and belt slipped off
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tried following instructions from Chilton's manual step by step and have no success.
can you give me the step by step directions you would follow
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm having a hard time getting the intake and exhaust cams in sink
Ok. The reason I ask is because if the belt broke when driving, more than likely engine damage has occurred. But if the marks are lined up then you should be good. This motor is a little tricky to get all the cams lined up. What I do is use small vice grips or those little black clips that people use for paper, and as I work the belt around the cams I clamp the belt to the cam as I go so if the cam turns a bit the belt stays in the correct position. And you need to work our way around the engine installing the tensioner side of the belt last.