mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

I can't turn the ignition key. Have tried jiggling the steering

Customer Question

I can't turn the ignition key. Have tried jiggling the steering wheel but everything seems to be locked up --Help
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That is pretty much it. I sprayed a little WD40 in the ignition switch hoping that would loosen up the tumblers but no luck
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I hope so -----
JA: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should be aware of about your Hyundai?
Customer: Not really --- It has been fine when I drove it earlier today
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 months ago.
sounds like you have tried this but sometimes giving the key a pretty solid hit with it in the ignition while trying to turn it helps. also make sure the steering wheel isnt locked and binding it up. if this doesnt work the only option is to get a mobile locksmith out there since there is nothing electrical that would prevent it from turning.