mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

Trying to replace the right side rear wheel bearing hub, how

Customer Question

trying to replace the right side rear wheel bearing hub, how do I get the emergency brake assembly off or out of the way?
JA: When it comes to solving emergency brake issues, getting the right information makes all the difference. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I got the brake caliper off and the mounting bracket, took off the rotor, but now in order to mess with the hub, I need to remove the rotor shield which seems to be connected to the emergency brake assembly. How do I get it off and how hard is it to get back on?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, I can't drive it like it is lol
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing I have no ideal what to do
JA: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should be aware of about your Hyundai?
Customer: not that Im aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  mike switzer replied 8 months ago.
what year and model is your hyundai?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2012 Sonata GLS
give me a moment i will attach the removal procedures
RemovalParking Brake Pedal [Foot type]Remove the crash pad lower panel.Remove the junction box.Disconnect the parking brake switch connector (A). Remove the parking brake pedal mounting bolts (A) and nut.(B) Remove the parking brake cable mounting bolts.Remove the parking brake cable adjusting nut(A) and the fixing clip(B), and then remove the parking brake pedal. Remove the floor console.Remove the floor console bracket. Remove the paring brake cable (B) after removing the cable retainer (A). Raise the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported.Remove the parking brake cable (B) after removing the fixing clip (A). Loosen the parking brake cable bracket bolts and remove the rear parking brake cable.Parking Brake Lever [Hand type]Remove the floor console.Remove the floor console bracket. Disconnect the parking brake switch connector (A). Remove the parking brake cable (B) after removing the cable retainer (A). Remove the parking brake lever assembly after removing the 4 bolts as shown below. Raise the vehicle and make sure it is securely supported.Remove the parking brake cable(B) after removing the fixing clip (A). Loosen the parking brake cable bracket bolts and remove the parking brake cable.Parking Brake ShoeRaise the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported.Remove the rear tire and wheel.Remove the rear brake caliper and Rear disc brake.Remove the parking brake cable (B), after removing the fixing clip (A). Loosen the hub assembly mounting bolts (A), and then remove the hub assembly and parking brake assembly. Remove the adjuster assembly (B) and the lower return spring (A). Remove the upper return spring (C) operating lever assembly (D). Remove the shoe hold down pin (A) and the spring (B) by pressing and rotating the spring. Remove the brake shoes (C).InstallationParking Brake ShoeInstall the shoe hold down pin (A) and spring (B) by pressing and rotating the spring. Install the operating lever assembly (D) and the upper return spring (C). Install the adjuster assembly (B) and the lower return spring (A). Install the hub assembly and the parking brake assembly, and then install mounting bolts (A). Install the parking brake cable (B), and then install the fixing clip (A). Install the rear brake disc, then adjust the rear brake shoe clearance.(1)Remove the plug from the disc.(2)Rotate the toothed wheel of adjuster by a screw driver until the disc is not moving, and then return it by 7 - 8 notches in the opposite direction.Install the brake caliper assembly.Install the tire and wheel, after installing the plug on the disc.If the parking brake shoe or the brake disc are replaced a newly one, perform the brake shoe bed-in procedure.(1)Hand type - While operating the arking brake pedal for 68.6N (7kgf, 15.4 lbf) effort, drive the vehicle 500 meters (0.31 miles) at the speed of 60kph (37 mph).Foot type - While operating the parking brake lever for 98N (10kgf, 22lbf) effort, drive the vehicle 500 meters (0.31 miles) at the speed of 60kph (37 mph).(2)Repeat the above procedure more than three times.(3)Must be held on 20% uphill.CAUTION:After adjusting parking brake, notice following matter;Must be free from troubles when the parking pedal is operated at 686.5 N (70 kgf, 154 lbf).Check that all parts move smoothly.The parking brake indicator lamp must be on after the parking pedal is worked and must be off after the pedal is released.Parking Brake Lever [Hand Type]Install the parking brake lever assembly, then tighten the mounting bolts.Tightening torque:19.6 - 29.4 N.m (2.0 - 3.0 kgf.m, 14.5 - 21.7 lb-ft) Install the parking brake cable (B) and then cable retainer (A). Apply a coating of the specified grease to each sliding parts (A) of the ratchet plate or the ratchet pawl.Specified grease :Multi purpose grease SAE J310, NLGI No.2 Install the parking brake cable adjuster, then adjust the parking brake lever stroke by turning adjusting nut (A).Parking brake lever stroke :5 clicks (Pull the lever with 20kgf)NOTE:After repairing the parking brake shoe, adjust the brake shoe clearance, and then adjust the parking brake lever stroke. Install the floor console bracket. Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that parking brakes do not drag when the rear wheels are turned. Readjust if necessary.Make sure that the parking brakes are fully applied when the parking brake lever is pulled up fully.Reconnect the connector of parking brake switch.NOTE:Inspect the continuity of parking brake switch.When the brake lever is pulled : continuityWhen the brake lever is released : no continuity Install the floor console.Parking Brake Pedal [Foot type]Install the parking brake cable.Install the floor console bracket. Install the floor console.Install the holding clip (B) and the cable adjusting nut(A) after fixing the parking brake cable. Install the parking brake pedal, and then install the parking brake pedal mounting bolts (A) and nuts (B).Tightening torque:Bolts (A): 8.8 - 13.7N.m (0.9 - 1.4 kgf.m, 6.5 - 10.1lb-ft)Nuts (B): 9.8 - 14.7N.m (1.0 - 1.5 kgf.m, 7.2 - 10.8 lb-ft) Adjust the parking brake pedal stroke by turning the adjusting nut (A).(1)Operate the parking brake pedal through a full stroke over 3 times for setting the parking cables. (2)Adjust the adjusting nut (A) for parking brake pedal stroke 4 - 5notches when operating effort is 196N(20kgf.44lb).CAUTION:The parking brake adjustment must be carried out after adjusting the rear shoe.After adjusting parking brake, notice following matter.1)Must be free from clearance between adjusting nut and pin.2)Check securely that the brake is not dragging.Reconnect the parking brake switch connector(A). Install the junction box.Install the crash pad lower panel.AdjustmentParking Brake Shoe Clearance AdjustmentRaise the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported.Remove the rear tire and wheel.Remove the plug (A) from the disc. Rotate the toothed wheel of adjuster by a screw driver until the disc is not moving, and then return it by 7 - 8 notches in the opposite direction.Install the rear wheel & tire after installing the plug on the disc.Parking Brake Pedal Stroke AdjustmentOperate the parking brake pedal through a full stroke over 3 times for setting the parking cables.Adjust the adjusting nut(A) for parking brake pedal stoke 4 - 5 notches when operating effort is 196N(20kgf, 44lbf) CAUTION: The parking brake adjustment must be carried out after adjusting the rear shoe.After adjusting parking brake, notice following matter.1)Must be free from clearance between adjusting nut and pin.2)Check securely that the brake is not dragging.Parking Brake Lever Stroke AdjustmentRaise the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported.Loosen the mounting screws, then remove the console rear cover. Adjust the parking brake lever stroke by turning adjusting nut (A).Parking brake lever stroke :5 clicks (Pull the lever with 20kgf)NOTE:After repairing the parking brake shoe, adjust the brake shoe clearance, and then adjust the parking brake lever stroke. Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that parking brakes do not drag when the rear wheels are turned. Readjust if necessary.Make sure that the parking brakes are fully applied when the parking brake lever is pulled up fully.Install the console rear cover.© 2016 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions