350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons 22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1

Hyundai Accent: I just bought my girlfriend's 2008 Hyundai

Customer Question

I just bought my girlfriend's 2008 Hyundai Accent, as she is moving back to states. I live in the Caribbean. First week, the brakes lights would not go off and drained battery. The little plastic disc under the brake pad needed to be replaced, and problem solved. Three days later, car is hesitating when starting. Did a few errands today. Each time I started it I got hesitation. When I got home, I turned it off and started it with hesitation again...and then tried again, and the car wouldn't start. Now I tried six house later, and car started, with hesitation again. It sounds dead....turns over one or twice, but the interior lights come on strong when I go into car, so, I do not believe it is the battery. I know the starter was replaced recently. Could it be faulty? Could it be a bad connection, and if so, where do you think? Or, the alternator? Please help me!
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  350matt replied 5 months ago.
Hello 1st check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replacedDon't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cablesone other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off
Expert:  350matt replied 5 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you