peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

Hyundai Elantra GLS: so I have two questions/problems I need

Customer Question

so I have two questions/problems I need help with. First of all, I have a 2002 Elantra GLS, and I got a new FOB, because the old one corroded and wouldn't work anymore. But when I tried to set the remote frequency on the remote control box, but after I set the switch back to off and try to use the key FOB it doesn't respond. I have tried it multiple times. Do you know where I could check that the computer is actually sending a lock/unlock signal to the door locks?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.There may be an issue with the fob receiver/control unit itself internally as I have seen some fail before needing replaced.I would start with having this done to see what codes come up to help further locate and repair this fault here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HI, Thanks for getting back to me. I figured out the problem with my other question, but this one is still not solved, so I appreciate your reply. I am curious as to what kind of codes would be set by the by the ETACS. You are talking about the OBD2 DTC's yes? Or is there a reader for specific trouble codes on the ETACS itself? There is no MIL/check engine light on, but I do understand that some codes wont trigger the MIL. I will go plug in my scanner and see what OBD2 codes appear and let you know.
You will need to plug in a scan tool that can communicate with all computers to see what codes are set in all computers including the ETACS itself.MOst OBD 2 readers will only read out engine and transmission codes so one is needed that can read all fault codes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you give a link to such a scanner. I would also like to a pin out of the ETACS, we should be able to tell if it's not actuating the lock or unlock relays, by back probing with a multimeter, correct?
This type of scan tool can be expensive in allot of cases ranging at or over $1000.Below is a link to one that can do this function here.