George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

I am having a rough idling problem when i changed the tps the

Customer Question

I am having a rough idling problem when i changed the tps the stopped shifting correctly and the code p1701 came up it is a 2001 hyundai sonata
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Hyundai. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: well the car was running ok but idling rough so i changed the tps and when i did the idle smoothed out but then it started not wanting to shift gears so i took the old tps and put it back in the car started shifting again but as you are driving down the rod the tack drops off and then picks back up like a hestitation
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just changing the tps and then putting the old one back in other than that and pulling the codes that is about it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your Hyundai?
Customer: up until i changed the TPS it was running a little lean but no hesitation now there is a hesitation when driving at a steady speed and code p1701 is showing on the scanner even after i reset the codes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Has anything after market been wired into your vehicle at all? Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it is all stock no after market things just a plan 2001 hyundai sonata with a 2.4 l engine. It started out idling rough so I tried changing the O2 sensor and nothing changed so i changed the TPS after doing this the car started not wanting to shift so I put the old TPS back in and it started shifting again but now it has a hesitation at around 40 mph when you hold the accelerator steady and when i pulled the codes it show the code P1701 but it is shifting fine just has hesitation and rough idle
Can you verify this code number as I dont list a P1701 on this model here.Let me know when you can. Thanks Pete