Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician
64275627

Hyundai Santa Fe: 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L took in

Customer Question

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L took in for CA smog test, failed 5-different items due to not enough history/analytics because battery had been disconnected. After driving for 200-miles, 4 of the 5 cleared/reset but the O2 still not reset/not enough analytics. There are no Check Engine or indications of any failures, just the diagnostic tester indicating O2 not reset yet.. Does this take more time/days or miles to reset, or do I simply replace O2 sensors even though there are no error indications?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Matt C. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I would like to see if I could assist you today. Sometimes getting the readiness monitors to set can be a bit of a hassle. There is a "driving procedure" to help the monitors to run, but, it can be a bit of a hassle, I will list the procedure. To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following: Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 122°F and within 11°F of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run. Idle the engine for two a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better.Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 55mph is reached. Hold a steady speed of 55mph for 3 minutes.Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift or touch the brake. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 20 mph.Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 55-60mph and then maintain speed for five minutes.Decelerate again, not pressing the brakes or shifting.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
..will give it a try and get back to you, thank you.
..mj
Expert:  Matt C. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I had just wanted to follow up with you and see if you had gotten this problem resolved. If so and you found the information I sent you to be helpful, please don't forget to rate me.