Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

Hyundai Sonata GL: ,I own 2005 hyundai sonata GL. It has

Customer Question

I own 2005 hyundai sonata GL. It has CEL on it, and reads as p0885 - TCM power relay open circuit. No mechanic in my area could fix it. I cannot afford to junk my car, Please help me fixing it out.
Thanks a lot.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,Hyundai has released a service bulletin dealing with this fault code and the proper repair for it. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below, have a look at it as it likely applies.Copy and paste the link toy our browser to open and view it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2005 Hyundai sonata is nowhere mentioned in the bulletin, how can we use this bulletin for my car?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Actually it is shown in the right side corner.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In top right corner It is mentioned 1999 sonata.. And in the first table in repair procedure 1999-2004 sonata's are mentioned. So, how would this procedure applied to 2005 model?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Oaky I will open the post back up for you and hopefully someone else may have something else to add.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok Ron. Thanks for trying to help me.
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Andrew. Let me do some research and see what I can find about helping diagnose this issue.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Andrew, I will be awaiting your response.
Alright, first off, lets check fuse 17 in the inside fuse box to the left lower of the steering wheel. If that one is good, we're gonna wanna check the A/T fuse (#6) in the under hood fuse box. I have attached pictures to help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah both are good.
Ok, you need to check the A/T control relay. Its under the center console but you can reach it from the driver side by the gas pedal. Just remove that trim piece and you can get to it. It should have a diagram on it with pin numbers next to the pins. You'll need to power up the coil and give it ground and see if the relay clicks over. Either that or you can just replace it. I've attached a picture to show you where it is.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Previously when i took my car to a repair shop, one mechanic checked and said that was good. Anything else could be wrong?
It's either that or the pcm
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where is PCM located? How it looks like? How to check whether or not it is working..?
PCM is located right in front of the AT relay in the same picture I sent you. You'll want to check connector # ***** 2, the second one from the front in the picture. With the car running, check for voltage at pin 10 of that connector. I've attached a picture to help. You'll have to check it with the connector connected, its a green wire. Just probe it from the back.