Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

On my Hyumdai Vera Cruz, 2008, when it is raining hard and

Customer Question

On my Hyumdai Vera Cruz, 2008, when it is raining hard and I make a sharp left turn into my neighborhood, the power steering goes away. It becomes almost impossible for me, 68 year old woman, to turn . Sometimes it will start again. Sometimes, I have to turn car off and crank again. It does not happen every time. i try not to go out when it is raining but sometimes, it surprises me. I have mentioned this to several car repair shops as well as the dealership Legacy Ford and Hyundai in Mcdonough, Ga. The dealership told me it would need to be doing this when I brought it in. However, it is unpredictable and I really don't want to drive in the rain. i want this fixed. How can you fix it for me?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Andrew. I'm not sure that I will be able to actually fix this for you but I at least want to point you in the right direction. The power steering on the 2008 Veracruz is a hydraulic system powered by a pump that is driven by the vehicles drive belt on the side of the engine. Usually what will happen, especially in the heavy rain, is the belt will slip when it is wet and there is a heavy load on the pump (like turning sharply). It is likely that the belt is loose or worn and so this makes it more likely to slip. However, if this is not the case then the only other thing I can think of that may be happening is the fluid is low and so turning causes the pump to suck air and not power the steering. I did some research in Hyundai's database and could not find any common problems with this issue. Best advice I can give you is try to get a loaner or a rental from the dealership and leave it with them when there is rain in the forecast. Its not convenient but it may be the only way for them to properly diagnose it. I hope this helps you.If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you