Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year in the Auto repiar business ASE Certified
7276279

Hyundai Sonata GLS: I have a 2002 sonata 2.7 motor pull the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 sonata 2.7 motor pull the alternator check fine battery check when it was it the car test it with motor running read 14.50 and then turn it off battery kept charging too 17.5 the vaule cover do leak
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The normal charge rate with the engine running should be right at 14 volts on a properly working charging system. Your question is not clear. Are you saying that your battery voltage jumps up to 17.5 with the engine turned off? Post back with as many details as you can and I will see if I can help you with this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I think the oil leak from the rear vaulve cover on or in the alternator with the car running it read 14.5 when I shut it off the battery charge to 17 new battery
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Are you sure your gauge it reading correctly, with the engine turned off its not possible for the alternator to keep charging the battery.