Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Hyundai Tucson Limited: , We have a 2013 Hyundai Tucson.

Customer Question

We have a 2013 Hyundai Tucson. Fairly regularly the car will not start when placing foot on break and pushing start button. When talking with one of your mechanics a month ago we concluded it was probably a faulty shifter as if you jiggle the shifter when in park the car will eventually start. So--- I shared this with the dealership and they ordered and replaced the shifter but while at the dealership the problem reoccurred and they now are not sure how to fix. They have had a week!! Any ideas??? Dan
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 7 months ago.
Have they replaced the brake switch? Extremely common issue on these cars
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why would the brake switch make this happen?
If the brake switch is bad the vehicle won't know if you are stepping on the brake pedal. If it doesn't know that you're stepping on the brake pedal it won't start with the button. There are a few different circuits in the switch so its possible to have brake lights but also have a no start issue.If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So why does wiggling the shifter allow a start if its the brake switch?
You said they replaced the shifter and you are still having the issue so that tells me the issue is not with the shifter. The brake switch could have high resistance internally so it isn't allowing enough voltage to get to the shifter release.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If it is the brake switch why would wiggling the automatic shifter enable a start? And if it is the brake switch why wouldn't in show up on computer diagnostics?
I just explained to you why it could help it start. It may but it may not. It is worth looking into.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't buy the explanation. Why hasn't it shown up on computer diagnostics if its the brake switch?
Because not everything throws a code. I'm going to open your question to someone else. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I appreciate your pushing it on. Will they see the communication trail from today and January? Thanks Andrew.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Different tech here, would you like me to help?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes please. Can you see the chat chain?
Yes I can see everything in this post.Does wiggling the shifter still resolve the issue?Can you do electrical diag with a test light or volt meter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wiggling the shifter has worked but it is becoming more frequent in the need to do it. I am under the perception that if it was the brake switch it would show up on computer diagnostics and if it was a faulty shifte it would not. I am not a mechanic so the tests you asked about I can not do. I'm trying to use you to direct the dealership that can't figure it out and they have had multiple try's.
You may want to try a different dealer. One that witnesses the issue and sends you away after purchasing and installing parts with the concern still occurring means there no good at diagnostics. Without being able to do some testing its going to be hard for me to pinpoint this cause. Since wiggling the shifter helps my first suspension is the shift linkage is out of adjustment and the transmission range sensor or PNP switch is not seeing the shifter in park thus disabling starting ability. Diagnosing would be able to verify if thats the case. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do you mean diagnosing would be able to verify? This thing has been on the computer several times.
A diagnostic machine is not needed or used to diagnose this concern. A test light or volt meter is needed. This concern will not store codes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So what would you test with a test light or volt meter?
Using the link below.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/pin3.pdfYou would remove the starter relay. OHM test pin 3 to ground. Hold the key in the start position. Watch the meter while moving the shifter around in park. If the meter shows back and forth continuity and no continuity then the range switch is intermittently not reading the shifter is park.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because no rating was selected and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris