Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

We have a Hyundai 2008 Sante Fe Limited Edition which will

Customer Question

We have a Hyundai 2008 Sante Fe Limited Edition which will randomly not start. It turns over but will not fire. This is a random occurrence.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: The check light engine is on. We recently purchased the vehicle. No issues were observed during test drives.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Hyundai Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 8 months ago.

Hi there.

There could be several different reasons why the engine cranks but won't start; intermittent bad signal from a crank position sensor, faulty transponder key, etc.

I recommend getting the onboard computer scanned to find out why the check engine light is on as the first step in our diagnosis - if you don't have access to a code reader or scanner, there are auto shops and parts retailers that will perform the scan free of charge. We will have a better idea of what to do next once we have that information.