FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician

I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. When I start my car I hear a

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. When I start my car I hear a revved up clicking under the dashboard and it is audibly loud even outside of the car. This occurs for about 5 seconds. Meanwhile the lights dim like its struggling to get power for a second as well. The car starts fine on one turn and then runs normally after turning it on. This has been going on for about 6 months. Sometimes it doesn't happen which seems to occur when it's cold out for whatever reason. I replaced the battery and the terminals and connections seem to be fine but this keeps occurring. Would you have any suggestions on this?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 7 months ago.
Hello Keith, my name is***** for the question. It sounds like either a failing alternator or a low idle. Some of the time the throttle body will be dirty calling a low idle, and this will cause the noise and a charging issue. Most of the time though the noise is from the alternator failing internally. This can be checked by putting a rubber hose to it and to your ear when you start the car to see if the noise is coming from it. Also check the charge when this is occurring. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I feel like the clicking is coming from right under the dashboard drivers side. Basically in line with the steering column. The alternator is on the other side under the hood I believe.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm no expert obviously. Ha! Just looking to see if there is an alternative to into as well. Thanks for the time.
Not a problem. If you need anything else please let me know. Please rate when you can also. Thank you.