Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I washed the engine down in my 04 santa fe w a 3.5 v-6 now

Customer Question

hello I washed the engine down in my 04 santa fe w a 3.5 v-6 now engine hard to start and wont stay running unless I keep my foot on the gas and it wont go above 3000 rpms
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the coil packs and scanned for codes no codes found
JA: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should be aware of about your Hyundai?
Customer: not really
JA: Our top Hyundai Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Hyundai Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Hyundai Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** is a common symptom caused by a clogged catalytic converter. You can completely remove front oxygen sensor from exhaust to relieve pressure, if that allows engine to run better you know the converter is clogged. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello now I can't get car to start at all it just cranks and smells like raw fuel before when I did have it running it smelled like it was running rich and I had to keep my foot to the floor to keep it going do u think a crankshaft position sensor would cause this? But I have no codes. When using a scanner thanks again
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

I still think problem is likely clogged converter. Check for spark, if spark is good then remove front oxygen sensor to do previously mentioned test. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.