Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

It's a 2003 Sonata. The battery is fine as is alternator per

Customer Question

It's a 2003 Sonata. The battery is fine as is alternator per advanced auto. The following happened 2 times. I parked car, took keys out, was just sitting in front seat and reading for 30-45 minutes. Went to start up all I got was click click click started doing its thing. I left car to sit for 2 1/2 hours and it started up fine. Is there some sort of sensor or maybe there is a short that only causes an issue if I am sitting with the car off and then when I get off the seat what ever should not be touching stops touching??
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Hyundai Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If it is something like a module sensor yes..If it is an electrical issue no.
JA: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should be aware of about your Hyundai?
Customer: Not about the hyundai..Me I'm not a small person so I am sure I squash the seat down more than little skinny people. really think it is something with seat.
JA: Our top Hyundai Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Hyundai Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Hyundai Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

This is usually either caused by dirty or corroded battery cables, or a weak battery. What I would do is hit up a parts store and have the battery tested. Most can test it for you at no charge, but you should also take a look at those cables as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that already. I said Advanced auto said the battery was 100% as is the alternator. This ONLY happens when I sit in the car with everything off and then go to start it up. What could be under, on, around the drivers side seat that can cause the car not to start up and then start up if I get out of the car and let it sit for a while. again it is not battery or alternator. I paid 20.00 via paypal. please give me something for the 20.00
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I apologize, I did read that but was only thinking of the symptoms. There isn't anything in on or around the seat that is going to cause this issue. Sorry to say but the rapid clicking is typically low amperage to the starter. The clicking is battery voltage getting to the starter solenoid. I guess I would have the battery retested someplace other then Autozone, but also look at the other ends of the battery cables. The positive cable runs directly to the starter, and the negative is running to the body, then over to the transmission for a ground. This is the most common issue for this type of symptom.

I can open this back up for the other experts if you would like, but like I said, there's nothing in the seat going to cause this. Listening to the radio shouldn't take the battery down to this point so quickly, but if it is, there has to be an issue with the battery or the cables.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very Weird..as it only happens when I sit in the car too long. No lights on, no radio on. Doesn't start up..but come back 2 hours later and it will start up. Something odd is going on. I'll check the battery again, but it is only 1 year old.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, as a test, you could open the door, get out of the seat, then reach in and turn the key and see what happens.

I believe you have a bad connection there somewhere and eventually it will rear its ugly head and the car won't start after sitting 2 hours either. I would really check the cables and look for swelling or a break.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I think I know what is going on and am telling you in case you ever get this question again. When I would sit in my car, I take the keys out...BUT..the parking lights and marker lights stay on until I open the door of the car. If I sit and read in the car for 30-45 minutes those lights stay on and I didn't realize it. The car does not start...it's not because I let it sit does it eventually crank up, it is because I always turn off the light before starting the car so I don't pull as many amps and then the car starts.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

So I guess that means there isn't anything in the seat and the battery is being drained as I originally stated?