rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a 2007 Hyundai Entourage that has had the door motors

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a 2007 Hyundai Entourage that has had the door motors changed several times. The last round at the dealership, the radio wasn't working when we picked the van up. They changed the passenger door actuator and that was it. I've also had other weird gremlins like random TPMS lights that come and go. The radio kicks on now and again, not so much here of lately. I'm wondering if the dealership shorted something to ground somewhere.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I think at this point I'll have to pY other dealership to troubleshoot what this dealership has done.
JA: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should be aware of about your Hyundai?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. This problem has existed now for over a year. The dealership refuses to look into it stating Hyundai corporate won't cover it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Unrelated problems such as these almost always have to do with a bad ground that all these share. Mostly at the battery cables but also found at common computer ground eyelets.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Ron,
I was completely shocked when the radio didn't work when my wife picked up the van. We had the passenger door assist motor changed out (several times both sides). The radio was DOA upon pick up. The backlighting and channel functions all appear to work. The radio does come on once and awhile for a minute or two then goes back out. The dealership said the radio must have died by coincidence, I said I thought not. The automatic doors have a mind of their own. They work some days and other days they are in-op. The dealership won't warranty the door parts even the day after I paid for new parts that weren't needed. Unfortunately the only other dealership is 90 miles away, a pain in the butt for trying to get my wife's van for a day or two to run up there. I almost feel like it's a computer issue with this van. They updated the software back in 2010 when they replaced the door latches for a recall. After that update, my answer back alarm horn sounds like a bleating goat vice what it used to sound like. They said this is a result of the software update, even though they had several problems performing the update and had to do it several times for it to complete. That is when all of this madness began with this van. Unfortunately I believe they are out of their depth with this vehicle. They are a relatively new dealership who were Toyota techs prior.
All this being said, what grounds do you recommend I check first?
Thanks for the help,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Another note. When my wife picked up the van, all the radio presets were still there as well as the personal seat settings. Normally we have to redo these as they disconnect the battery, not this time. Could they have shorted something in the radio out when they had the door apart? Not putting a villain hat on them, just don't believe the radio just died, even though the faceplate still shows it working.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Wow, what a story. Still sounds like a ground problem to me.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Crazy ride for sure through this process. We love the van, just not fortunate to this point with the accessories, lol. I'll clean the battery terminals. Are there any other points I should check?
Thanks for the help and your time Ron,
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Just what I said earlier.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Ron,
I'm looking online to see if I can find a schematic to find where these grounds are located. Can you recommend a source that may have this data readily accessible?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Yes, Identifix is one and Autozone is another.

Thanks again, Ron