George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Being a mechanic years, i do like most in that I do things

Customer Question

Hi George,
Being a mechanic for 40 years, i do like most in that I do things that you are not supposed to do..LOL
2003 Sante Fe AC. AC not working. Just blowing hot air, and compressor not running. As a start, I just removed one of the caps to see if there was a charge in the system. There was pressure when I did this. I then went to the relay panel and the AC relay was clicking. I was stupid and did not check for voltage at the AC coil. Before I started all this, the blower was running and everything OK except hot air. I removed the AC diode in the relay panel. There was voltage at the "right" terminal. But being stupid, I must have put the diode back backwards. I did notice a flash to the right of the diode at one of the slow-blow fuses. I guess one of them blew. None are labeled as AC though. Now nothing works; no blower or anything. Where does the voltage to the diode come from?? Which was does the diode go in?? With my test light, all of the fuses in the fuse panel on the inside are good. The cover to the fuse panel is missing and don't know which fuse is which and the owner's manual has no diagram to tell me. If I can get the rest of the stuff working again, I will check the clutch to see if getting voltage. As it stands now, I have no voltage at the diode, and blower is not working any more.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Randall C replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Randall, What engine do you have? do you have manual or full automatic climate control? I need to know everthing not working or lacking power

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
V-6 24 valve engine. Read below. Now, no voltage at the diode.Blower not working but was. Below is very clear.2003 Sante Fe AC. AC not working. Just blowing hot air, and compressor not running. As a start, I just removed one of the caps to see if there was a charge in the system. There was pressure when I did this. I then went to the relay panel and the AC relay was clicking. I was stupid and did not check for voltage at the AC coil. Before I started all this, the blower was running and everything OK except hot air. I removed the AC diode in the relay panel. There was voltage at the "right" terminal. But being stupid, I must have put the diode back backwards. I did notice a flash to the right of the diode at one of the slow-blow fuses. I guess one of them blew. None are labeled as AC though. Now nothing works; no blower or anything. Where does the voltage to the diode come from?? Which was does the diode go in?? With my test light, all of the fuses in the fuse panel on the inside are good. The cover to the fuse panel is missing and don't know which fuse is which and the owner's manual has no diagram to tell me. If I can get the rest of the stuff working again, I will check the clutch to see if getting voltage. As it stands now, I have no voltage at the diode, and blower is not working any more.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think it would be considered a manual control. Everything originally OK except compressor not running. Now blower or anything else works.

i still need to know all not working, you are only saying everything else. Is it only blower and ac or other things as well

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Listen. Been Real clear. When I started this the fan Blower, speeds, everything was working but compressor was not running. I checked the relays to make sure they clicking and they were. I did not check voltage at the compressor, but should have. I removed the AC diode and put it back but must have put it back backwards. Noticed a flash from one of the slo-blo fuses to the right of the diode. Do not know which one though. I will check them. NOW the diode has no voltage goiing to it at all, and the blower or nothing else is working. Where does the voltage to the diode come from??? When I get the rest of the system working, I will be able to chewck the voltage at the compressor. NOW. AC blower is not working, and no voltage at the AC diode. Checking all fuses at the interior fuse panel with a test light; all appear to be good.

I have not found 100% clear, I am sorry, You have said a couple times as you typed below, I NEED to know what you refer to as "nothing else working? this could mean lights, wipers, etc etc, I am only asking about that statemnet so I can pull correct wiring diagrams,If ONLY blower and AC? let me know, I fully understand all the rest, You are saying "nothing else working" hope this makes sense, I am not there, I have to gather info in order to help. You wrote this

I will check them. NOW the diode has no voltage goiing to it at all, and the blower or nothing else is working.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am only talking about the AC system; NOTHING else. Only thing screw ed up is the AC. I just checked all the slo-blo fuses under the hood and all good. NO VOLTAGE at the AC diode... Forget about the rest of the car. Just talking about the AC. Blower don't work, no voltage at AC diode. AC system only...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All fuses under the dash appear to be good according to my Test light.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All fuses in engine compartment are good. NO VOLTAGE at the AC diode, which I think I caused when put it back in backwards. After I did that, the blower quit. Was working before that .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I started out, only thing not working was the compressor, but I was too stupid to check and see if it had voltage right off the bat !!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
been mechanic for 40 years.....But still do stupid shit !!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where does the AC diode get it's voltage??

pulling diagrams now

after review, can you tell me if you remove the blower relay, turn key ON, how many terminals have power that the relay plugs into

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Under the hood; One labeled Air Cond. has only 1 terminal hot.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Blower relay inside?? Panel cover missing. Two relays on bottom of panel; ONe of them?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there are 2 relays below the interior panel. Is one of them BLOWER?

please bear with me, I have to pull info, I thought you knew but sorry, it is near the blower, see this link

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
NEVERMIND. i JUST REPLACED THE dIODE AND GOT BLOWER WORKING. COMPRESSOR NOT RUNNING NOW ONLY THING WRONG. WILL CHECK FOR VOLTAGE THERE NOW...NEVERMIND