Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2004 Sante feel awd. I'm having some slipping and

Customer Question

2004 Sante feel awd. I'm having some slipping and knocking issues. Had to drive in reverse back to my drive way
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 9 months ago.

Hello, can you give me some more details as to what is happening?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What details are you referring to? This is what I have going on at first sight. If you could point me in a direction I could possibly get more detailed.

Ok, if the transmission is slipping there is really only two possibilities. One is that it's very low on fluid, so you should check that. The dip stick is on the driver side of the engine compartment. The other possibility is that the clutches inside the transmission are worn and the transmission will need to be replaced. As far as the knocking, have you checked your oil?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok being a mechanic myself I understand starting at such a basic level. Could we assume that I have done everything on that level and move to another step so that I can start eliminating some of the very many possibilities. FYI if it would help our communication I have been a industrial heavy equipment Trans mech for 12 years. Primarily Allison transmissions.

Ok, so what would you like to know? If you already checked everything and your transmission is slipping, you need a transmission. If you checked the oil and your engine is knocking, you need to replace the engine or repair the rod bearings and crankshaft if possible.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
With this transmission it doesn't really feel like a slip, it feels and sounds more like the transmission is staying in a higher gear. As for the knock it is very distinctly coming from the front of the vehicle.

Do you have any codes? And can you please tell me if you did or did not check the oil, and when the last time you changed it was? If you are hearing a knocking noise from the front of the vehicle it is probably the engine.

I guess i'm just confused as to what you want me to tell you, if you're a transmission tech then you know that dirty fluid/bad solenoids can cause it to stay in a higher gear while driving.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's not a knock in the engine sir. Yes sir the oil was at the proper level and not burnt. I'm not sure of the last service as it is a fairly new vehicle to me. We have put about 18k miles since we purchased it. When this started about 2 weeks ago I changed the oil. The vehicle has 175k miles on it.

Alright i don't think I'm going to be able to help you, i'm opening up this question to other experts.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I apologize I did not mean to offend you. No codes showing but I do plan on getting someone to hook up to it and check.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. The tech that was helping has opted out.
  2. I believe I can help on this concern.
  3. Would you like to work with me?

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris