Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I just replace my ignition switch in my 2008 Hyundai Santa

Customer Question

I just replace my ignition switch in my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe and now I have no power anywhere in the truck.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried to jump the battery and that didn't give any power. The key remote for the door locks isn't working either because of no power.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Please don't get upset, but since we never know what's on our customers mind when they post their requests, we need to ask questions that might seem unnecessary:

• When you say "no power", do you mean there is no voltage across the battery terminals? no voltage to any of the fuses?
  • By "replaced ignition switch" yo mean the electrical part of the switch, or the lock cylinder where you put the key?
  • Do you know if your Santa Fe has the anti-theft immobilizer feature?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What I mean with no power is absolutely no power. No door chimes when the door opens, no power to anything at all in the truck.I replaced the white, plastics ignition switch below the lock cylinder where I put the key.I do not know if it has a anti-theft immobilized feature. But the key fop does not unlock the doors or sound alarm.

Thank you for that information.

Hyundai released some time ago a technical service bulletin regarding the battery cables going bad and possibly causing this type of issue. The easiest way to confirm this is what's happening is by connecting jumper cables from another vehicle's battery in the following manner:

• from jumper battery positive to your vehicle's fuse box stud
  • from jumper battery negative to your vehicle's ground stud

Upon connecting the jumpers, things like dome lamp, headlights, etc. should have power. Before trying to start the engine, lock and unlock the doors and make sure to use an original ignition key to disarm any possible antitheft system.

Please let me know if that works.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Which is the fuze box stud and which is the grounding stud?

The fuse box stud is where the positive battery cable bolts to the fuse box. The negative stud is where the negative battery cable bolts to the body of the vehicle. I've attached the two pictures included in the bulletin, where I've drawn Red circles around the two studs in question.

Please let me know if that helps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cannot get a good clamp on either stud because of the size of the bots and/or location of the negative stud. But when I touch the positive cable to the positive fuse stud it sparks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But no light come on at all. No dome light, no chimes, or any power at all to the vehicle.

Use smaller jumper cables if you need to; connect to the fuse box stud first, then to the ground stud. Doing it that way should minimize sparks. By the way, the presence of sparks indicates active electrical loads - something is on.

If jumping the battery as I indicated still doesn't bring power to the courtesy lights, then you'll need a voltmeter to use while I guide you through an electrical diagnosis.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have a voltmeter. I can get one tomorrow.

OK, just make sure the voltmeter is designed for automotive use.

I login most day after 2PM Atlantic Standard Time. Looking forward to working with you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you

Thank you.