Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

I have a 2013 elantra and got the camshaft sensor code I

Customer Question

I have a 2013 elantra and got the camshaft sensor code I replaced both and have the same code and problem it says sensor bank a
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car was giving me problems starting before I replaced them now it starts easier but still doesn't start every time and it won't idle without stalling
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Hyundai Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

first, I need the code number. a lot of the time, cam sensor codes indicate a timing correlation issue between the crank and cam sensor. I would have the valve timing checked to verify the engine is in correct time. it would also explain why it starts hard and stalls.

I would start with a timing check

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll get u the code number in a few hours the car is not here its p0340 or p0304 can't Renner witch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u tell me what to do for those codes that will save me time when I'm out there
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

I need the code first. they are 2 totally different codes

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0340 camshaft position sensor bank A crk1 is the code
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks, ***** ***** is for no cam sensor signal. check the connector for and damage or loose pins. if they are ok, I would replace the sensor.

Roy

1. CMPS #1

General Description

The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMPS) is a sensor that detects the compression TDC of the NO. 1 cylinder. The CMPS consists of a hall type sensor and a target on the end of the intake camshaft. When the target triggers the sensor, the sensor voltage is 5V. If not, the sensor voltage is 0V. These CMPS signal is sent to the PCM/ECM and the PCM/ECM uses the CMPS signal for synchronizing the firing of sequential fuel injectors.

DTC Description

The PCM/ECM monitors the inlet camshaft sensor signal transition position which must change only once per crankshaft revolution. If no camshaft signal is detected while crankshaft signal is detected, the PCM/ECM sets DTC P0340.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced both sensors the car is not 28th me I'll double check the connectors but they looked good no pinches wires plug looked ok any other suggestions
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Another cause could be a misaligned crankshaft and camshaft. This could be caused by a stretched timing chain, or something as simple as low oil. Check the oil level, and ensure that you are using a factory Hyundai oil filter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 40000 miles would that still be the timing chain

Unlikely, more likely that it is an oil issue or an issue with the oil control valves. Do you use hyundai oil filters or get the oil changed at the dealership? Also, just so you know, your car is still under 5 year 60,000 mile warranty, so any issue you are having you can bring it to the dealership and it is completely covered by Hyundai.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil level is good timing is on runs good but won't idle has problems starting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I change oil when I'm suppose to I have a Fran oil filter in it now oil was changed a month ago the car just started acting up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleared the codes the check engine light is out but still won't idle it started easier but still problems starting

How do you know the timing is on? Did you remove the covers and check the marks? Also, you should not use Fram filters, they do not have flow specifications that are up to Hyundai standards. If the P0340 is the only code there not sure what else it could be. If it is having problems starting its more likely that the crankshaft sensor is the issue.