Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe ... I have an intermittent problem

Customer Question

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe ... I have an intermittent problem where the vehicle sometimes will not start. No click.. nothing. However, the console lights, interior lights and headlights still come on (so battery unlikely dead). Believe it or not, if I wiggle the gear shift, it will then start. I have attached a code reader to the OBD port but all I get is codes $7E8 and $7E9.. no additional information. This is a random occurring problem. Any ideas?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 1 year ago.

Transmission range switch needs to be replaced. Quite common on these. The computer doesn't know that the car is in park because the switch is going bad. Thats why when you wiggle the shifter it starts. Switch is mounted to the top of the transmission and the battery will need to be removed to access, kind of tricky to line up correctly and Hyundai came out with a modified version so best to bring it to a dealer or at least buy the part from them.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.