350matt
350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons 22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

I have a Hyundai i30 diesel (1.3l). After a steady cruise at

Customer Question

I have a Hyundai i30 diesel (1.3l). After a steady cruise at around 100kph for 30 minutes the engine will stall when I come off the highway onto suburban streets. It can then take up to 3 or 4 minutes before it will re-start. When it does start it runs perfectly normally - no misfiring or other indication of problems. Any clues?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  350matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

I'd 1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance and make it difficult to idle. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

if its sticks open its can then allow the engine to stall

if this is Ok then it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

Expert:  350matt replied 9 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you