Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year in the Auto repiar business ASE Certified
7276279

I have a 2011 hyundai Elantra,the driver side lights stopped

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2011 hyundai Elantra,the driver side lights stopped workingi f I check the fuse box...they are ok...every time I turn the light on ..it will work for a second and then the whole side shout down
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I unplug the front connector for the headlamp and turn the lights back on all lights on the rear work fine, but as soon as plug the headlamp, makes a short and all lights turn off, like I said I replaced the head lamp and the headlamp connector but the problem is still there..
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing is likely with the SJB (smart junction box) . All power to the lights comes from the SJB (Interior fuse panel). Take you 12 volt test light or volt meter and at the SJB with the light on see if you have power out of the SJB on pins 24 and 25. See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.Check these with the lamp assembly plugged in and also with it unplugged also be sure to check your ground at both light on the black wires.. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Headlamp%20Feb%2011.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My scanner shows this code
C1611 can timeout ecm
C1612 can timeout tcm
Smart junction boc active codes
B1603 CAN BUS OFF
B2515 external tail lamp left circuit short to ground
B2514 external til lamp right circle to ground
B2513 left head lamp low circuit short to ground
B2512
B2511
B2518
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

All of then code point towards a failing SJB. I have seen this problem twice, once on the left side light and once on the right side light and in both cases the problem was a bad SJB. I suspect this is the case with your as well. The SJB is no longer just a fuse box as Im sure you know.