George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

My car won't start it cranks over but wont fire I change the

Customer Question

My car won't start it cranks over but wont fire I change the ignition coil pack spark plug spark plug wires and fuel pump and fuel pump relay and still nothing nothing
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. Have you verified that you get no spark to the spark plugs when you crank the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have there is spark and I can smell gas. 2 spark plugs are soaked in gas
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, Does it sound like it's turning over normally? or does it sound like it doesn't have any compression, let those two plugs dry out, and I'd try it again with the gas pedal to the floor, sounds like it's flooded, like maybe an injector is hanging open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like no compression i tryed hooking up a fuel pressure gage but cant find where ro hook it up at to verify
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

If it's got the plugs soaked, I'll bet there is fuel there.

did it just shut off while driving down the road?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just killed it self
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I think your timing belt is broke Dylan. If it sounds like it doesn't have any compression when you spin it over. Check that, and if it's the timing belt, you can try another belt, but it's likely it may have bent the valves unfortunately. I hate to be the bearer of bad news there. But usually if the engine is running and the belt breaks on these, pistons hit the valves. I believe that is what you have going on there with those symptoms. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it possible be the crank shaft sensor
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Not if you have spark to the plugs.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

You've checked spark to the plugs when cranking correct?

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

pull the oil cap off the engine, and shine a light in there, and see if you see the cam turning when somebody cranks on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Theres is spark and wen i look in threw the oil cap all i c is 4 little squares
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

OK, that baffle is in it then, You will have to look at the cam sprocket under the front timing cover to check it. If it sounds like it doesn't have compression when turning over, I would definitely check that now.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find there. thanks.