K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing

Customer Question

I replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing on a 2007 Hyundai Tuscan. Now it will not move in any gear or reverse. Also the shift does not seem to go into gear- like it does not click into the actual gear but instead it is kinda loose and sloppy. any ides
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

When you did this repair was the shiftier removed from the transmission?

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Pop the shiftier back out and check and see if its aligning with the forks and has not missed the slot. Check this and post back and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No the shifter was not removed. I removed tie rod ends, axles both sides, unbolted the struts to lower the disc and control arm. Removed all the upper engine stuff, battery, air filter assembly, unbolted the slave( did not open the lines) the motor mounts, upper radiator hose. Then I loosened the tranny bolts( I think there were 6 or 8 bolts) hooked an engine hoist to the tranny and supported the engine. Pulled them apart, my throwout bearing was disingrated- the only thing left was the back part that hooks to the fork and the inner plastic sleeve. I picked the bearing out of the bell housing and cleaned everything up. The sleeve that the throughout bearing goes on was a little rough so I sanded it slightly to removed and imperfections .Cleaned the fork, greased the fork and the spline.I used an alignment tool on the clutch. Had a tough time lining the tranny to the engine as I was doing it myself. Got it on. put everything back.The slave cylinder nipple with the ridges etc could move about 1\8 to maybe a 1\4 inch before it hit the pressure plate when I put the lever back on it, if you turned it by hand. P
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

So dose it feel like the transmission is shifting when you shift gears with the engine off?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I then put it all back together. The shifter seemed un-precise once back together. Started it and tried every gear, no movement. It does not seem to click into the actually gear , it does not seem to be a clean shift. I bled the slave- nothing there.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Ss no grinding while shifting as well with the engine running?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
with the engine on or off the shifter feels muddy? I guess like it is not going into the gate. Is it possible the throwput bearing fell off the fork. How can I check this.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Its possible but the only way to know would be to pull the trans back out. What happens if you get both from tires off the ground and place the transmission in any gear and turn one of the tires dose the other tire turn?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I didnot touch anything in the cabin while stuff was apart. But visually the gear shift seemed to be lower then usual and to the far left-like maybe past where 2nd gear would be
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

See if the wheels while turn up in the air when turning one side while in gear. They should if everything is aligned.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not tried the wheel off the ground thing. I can try that today. What am I looklking for
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no grinding, no sounds at all that are unusual
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

If the transmission is selecting gears the the wheels should turn.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you still there
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Yes Im here, let see if the wheels will turn with the transmission in gear.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok- I will be back in an hour or so. The car is all back together and on the ground. I need to jack it and support it. ok
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Post back when you are ready. Im here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok- is there anyway to check if the throwout bearing fell off without removing the tranny
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately no , unless you can see in the hole which is next to impossible.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok- speak to you in 1- 2 hours
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay, Ill be here. Good luck

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
RonYes both wheels move when in gear and off the ground. The shifter is very loose while in any gear. It has a-lot of play. I tried to attach a video - didnt work.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay then if the wheels turn while the transmission is in gear then that means it engaging and the problem is not likely with the shiftier or the transmission. I would have to guess something went wrong during the transmission install.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
something like what- where do I begin.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the wheels also turn with the car in neutral
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately there is no way of know with out pulling the transmission back out. Something has to be out of place or not lined up right..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
should the wheels turn in neutral
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

If you start the engine with the trans in gear can you hold the wheels from turning?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try- back in 30 minutes
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can hold the wheels still (1 at a time) while in gear. The wheels also move while in neutral. Are they supposed to move while in neutral
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

No if the transmission is actually in neutral you should be able to hold the tire . You should not if the transmission is in gear.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what does that mean if I can hold them while in gear- what does that suggest the problem is
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

If you can hold them in gear then that should mean the transmission is not going into gear which would usually indicate a problem with the transmission and or the shifter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ron- not trying to be a pain in the ass but there does not seem to be too many moving parts, except the throwout bearing. What else could I have messed up
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Your right, it has to one or the other but the only way to know would mean pulling the transmission. Unfortunately theirs not much more I can do from here. I can however open the post back up for you in hopes someone esle has something new to offer. Would you like me to relist the question for you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there anything more I can try before pulling the tranny. Any linkage tricks. Someone mentioned moving the linkage transmission nipples(attachment points) till they click. Have you ever heard of this
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

No I have not heard of this trick, let me open the question back up for you. Hopefully someone else may have what you need.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 10 months ago.

Hello, did you still need help with this?