sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring. The dash illumination remains

Customer Question

2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring. The dash illumination remains on, even after the car is off. I have had it serviced. The computer was replaced. Problem "seemed" to disappear for a couple of weeks, but came back intermittently, then more consistent. Sometimes it will go out, but I discovered that it will come back on after only 5-10 minutes after walking away. The dash illumination in question is the part where it will display whether the car is in drive, park, etc. The area of the dash also indicates whether or not doors are open. The dash illumination glow ranges from barely visible, like when the car is in drive, or bright glow, like when a door is open. Also, the display is always blank. there is no indication a door is open (there is not). There is nothing on it. I believe it has something to do with the car's door "sensors" and the locking mechanism. It's basically killing my battery, like leaving a dome light on.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it's just an illumination issue and only part of the instrument cluster is affected then there is little chance that the problem isn't the instrument cluster itself.

Do you know exactly what was replaced or do you have a part number?

You mentioned being able to get it to go off. What are you doing to get it to go off?