Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I wanted a second opinon on possible bad timing belt....have

Customer Question

I wanted a second opinon on possible bad timing belt....have code p0016 and p0342 (and with it pending as well)
Car died suddenly, i replace cam sensor and still no start, car does turn over, and run good before it died....pervious mechanic thinks timing belt, only 80k on car, please give me a run down on what i may need to check, including diagrams and all usual information, ....I will still rate other mechanic so he gets credit and will do the same with you
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, based upon your description of events, symptoms including the fault code, this does indeed sound like the timing belt has either broken or jumped teeth. The timing belt on yours is due to be replaced every 60K to 90K miles, so you are definitely in the range when it could break. It is also 7yrs old, which it the max time limit on replacing it as it does dry out and crack and can either break or stretch and jump timing

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can understand that.....let me throw some more information at you:
I dont hear the fuel pump, even if in the tank, on a car this small, I would think I would hear it, I should test fuel pressure, but havent done so.......
I have tested for voltage at cam sensor connection:
Ignition on, not cranked over: blk/white: 14.5 volts
ignition on AND cranking over engine: blk/blue: 0.0 volts
I have come to understand (maybe in error) that if the crank sensor was bad then the ecu would not supply proper signal to cam sensor and fuel pump. Please correct me if I am wrong?
I read ALOT online of timing issues on the 1.6 Accent, but I would expect with a rubber belt there would be some symptoms prior or early warning such as bad idling or rough start. This was not the case.
I normally would expect to follow the circuit back to the ECU if there is no signal to cam sensor to check there for voltage but seems like nothing is "normal" on this car (remember car has a new cam sensor and still no start) .....Thoughts? Next steps? Please provide detials, thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
please confirm what cam sensor connection (with color of wires) voltage should be and same for crank sensor, thank you.
If timing is need to be checked, please provide factory information and diagrams...
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

It looks like your other expert has answered this. I will opt out and let your original expert continue so please direct any followup to him

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dude that really is bad service, I am asking for a second opinion so I dont waste my time....I said that in the beginning
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you want positive feedback, I am willing to provide, if you can please give me the timing procedure for this car, thank you