Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year in the Auto repiar business ASE Certified
7276279

My name is ***** ***** Henthorn. My Hyundai Santa Fe is

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Henthorn. My Hyundai Santa Fe is making a whining, singing sound at cruising speeds. Not terribly bad, buy noticable. Definitely when going downhill at speed. The garage put it on the rack. listened to it and talked to a transmission shop. They are pretty sure it's the viscous coupler. I need to drive this car a few hundred mile next weeks. My questions are: does that sound like a realistic assessment? and how much of a problem is it? Can I drive it a while?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I can't tell much more than what I said. The sound is a slight humming. Has nothing to do with the engine. Just when the car is moving, in drive. Louder at high speeds. The garage is pretty sure it comes from transmission and that it comes from the transfer case coupler. No other sounds. Everything else is just fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Hyundai Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Can I save it till tomorrow? I can't be around to chat later this evening?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately with out being able to hear the sound you are describing it would be very hard to say for sure its is the viscous coupler. That being said ,from your description it dose sound likely that is the fault. As long as the sound dose not get any worse you are okay to drive it. Keep an ear on the noise and you should be okay. Once you get where you need to be then I would have it addressed ASAP.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** able to respond yesterday evening. Just a couple more questions: do you think the part would wear out over a long period of time or that it might suddenly go out? Should this be replaced soon or could it be driven for quite a while with that sound? I under stand they cost around $1000.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

If in fact it is the coupler it usually take a long period of time to wear out. You should be okay to drive it, just keep an ear on the sound, as long as it dose not get any worse you can likely go a long time before it becomes an issue.