Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

My 2005 Hyundai santa fe has a brand new battery I had the

Customer Question

my 2005 Hyundai santa fe has a brand new battery I had the starter and alternator checked there all fine but the car wont start all the light s come on but I get nothing when I turn the key
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

HI there,

Is it an automatic or manual?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
automatic
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok,

Normally if you don't hear any clicking or anything when you try to start it the problem is with the neutral safety on the transmission. It doesn't show in park or neutral so it prevents power from getting to the starter.

Sometimes you can put it into neutral and it will then crank, but if not this is still the next place to check. Other then the security system it's the only part on the car that will completely prevent any power at all from getting to the starter. Sometimes it's as simple as an adjustment and others you have to replace it. It's mounted to the outside of the transmission under the shift cable.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is clicking
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, I thought you said you get nothing when you turn the key?
Is it clicking down under the engine near the starter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe so
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, in this case I am going to suggest you try rotating the engine by hand first. Put a socket on the crank pulley bolt and see if the engine will rotate manually. If not, then it's possible you have a broken timing belt and the pistons are up against the valves. If it does, then let me know and we will need a volt meter to see what is happening.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

You're very welcome, and please let me know what else I can do to help you out.

Also, please remember to rate, I really appreciate it!