peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

On a 2006 hyundai tucson, while driving in

Customer Question

on a 2006 hyundai tucson, while driving in rain/snow/freezing rain conditions, all electrical systems shut down...headlights, wipers, etc, but car did not stall. All warning lights came on. After shutting car down and waiting a couple of hours, car started and all systems (except tps) showed normal. Any suggestions?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check for any loose or corroded battery cables.If there is a loose or corroded battery cable this will cause this type of fault here and the cable will need cleaned and tightened to correct this issue.If this is checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your answer to my question, however, that does not seem to be the problem. I had already checked the barttery and cable connections. All are good. Rather, it seems to be related to the brake switch/ESC module. When ESC is turned on, a "burning/electrical" smell is apparent. Still investigating.

I havent run across any issues with an electrical smell myself when the esc is turned on.This may be a fault with wiring to a sensor or solenoid or a sensor or solenoid at fault here.If you can locate the source of the smell this should lead to what needs replaced and/or to see if any wiring needs repaired as well.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have ordered a new brake switch which, from my understanding, also controls the ESC module. On its arrival I will install it and wait for some more sloppy weather. In dry weather, the problem has not re-occured. I have checked what wiring I can easily access and do not find an issue, but it is bitter cold here right now, and with no sloppy weather conditions and the ESC turned off, the initial problem and electrical smell has not returned.Note: I believe there was a Hyundai recall on the brake switch at one time, but sine the car was purchased used, I have no idea whether the original switch was replaced.

O.k.,you can find out from a dealer with your vehicles VIN number if the recall has been performed or not on this here.They can usually tell you over the phone in most cases.

Thanks Pete