George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

I took my 2009 Sants Fe car in because the check engine

Customer Question

Customer: I took my 2009 Sants Fe car in because the check engine light is on. I was told that my Torque converter will have to be replaced. I was quoted a $7000 repair. Is there another reason this light might come on? Th emissions failed because of the engine light and this is the code that came up (P0741). I haven't experienced any problems with driving or gear shifting or slippage. It seems that if is was so bad that it needs to be replaced, I would be experiencing problems. Any thoughts?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have taken the car in twice about this issue. Tunex said that my transmission would need to be replaced. I am not experiencing any issues. Master Muffler also looked at it and the technician made the note that the P0741 torque converter clutch circuit performance/stuck off. No idea what that means. I don't want to spend the $7000 if it really doesn't need to be replaced.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Hyundai Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The P0741 means the torque converter clutch is not locking when commanded.

The solenoid that allows fluid pressure to the converter would be my choice before the converter is replaced unless pressure tests have been performed.

The cost is certainly less than $7000 if you don't need to replace the transmission.

The point of the P0741 is to flag a potential emission issues, if the converter does not lock about 45 mph then it slips a bit and lowers fuel mileage a bit.

If you can get past the emission test then you do not need this repaired but it sounds like you have an emissions test to pass so you can register?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I failed by emissions test only because of the engine light. Everything on on system monitors, visual inspection/gas cap results was passed or ready, just the light is the problem. So if I take it to a mechanic, I can take your statement and they can look at that before requiring the transmission be replaced? Will this get my engine light off? I have scanned in a copy of my VIR.Thank you.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Yes you should have this diagnosed at an independent shop that has a Hyundai scantool. They should be looking at the control circuit for the torque converter lockup. It has 12 volts through a fuse, the solenoid that controls the application of hydraulic pressure to the converter and the ground side which is controlled out of the powertrain computer.

I doubt you need a whole transmission to get the light out and this code to clear.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you