Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE ENGINE ON A 2002 HYUNDAI ELANTRA TO

Customer Question

WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE ENGINE ON A 2002 HYUNDAI ELANTRA TO SURGE?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Hi there,

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
NO
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I WAS DRIVING LAST NITE, CAR SEEMED FUNNY. CAME TO A STOP LIGHT AND THE ENGINE STARTED TO RACE, UNCONTROLLABLE. I DON'T THINK IT AFFECTEED THE SPEED, BUT BECAUSE IT WAS RACING SO MUCH, I JUST PPULLED AROUND THE CORNER AND SHUT IT OFF. HAD THE VEHICLE TOWED. STARTED IT TODAY AND THE SAME THING WAS HAPPENING.. MY HUSBAND CHECKED THE TROTTLE CABLE, FELT THAT WAS OK. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA AS TO WHAT IT MIGHT BE. I ALREADY PAID $19.00, SO I DON'T WANT TO PAY MORE
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Usually when the car is searching for an idle it's caused by a vacuum leak on the intake manifold, possibly the mass air flow sensor or a purge control solenoid. Timing could be off also.

I suspect either the intake manifold leak or the mass air flow sensor. Either of these could fail without causing the check engine light to come on.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
WHERE WOULD WE FIND THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

The mass air flow sensor is the sensor that is bolted to the air filter box.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

Just thought I would check in and see how you made out with this?