George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

2012 hyundai sonata - removing front lug studs from hub. Do

Customer Question

Customer: 2012 hyundai sonata - removing front lug studs from hub. Do I need to remove the hub? There is not enough room for removal on the back side. Or do i just hammer and they will slide past?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just did. I am trying to remove the lug studs. there is not enough clearance behind the hub to clear
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Hyundai Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

There is not enough room to get the new studs in without separating the wheel bearing a little. You run the risk of damaging the bearing by doing that then pulling it back together though. Hyundai's procedure is to remove the hub, press the stud out and the new one in then install the hub into a new bearing.

You should have plenty of room to get the old stud out if it is broken, if it is just damaged you can cut it off to get it out.

When pulling the new stud into place it is helpful to grind off a third of the flange on the head and that let you leave the bearing in place.

Please let me know how i can help you with this

Thank you